Tuesday, September 8, 2009

When Did The Circus Come To Town?

I love Emmitt Smith as a player. One of my greatest honors was playing against him because of how much respect I had for him. I have argued in the past and will continue to argue that if he isn't the greatest running back to play the game, he is definitely in the conversation. The guy could do it all on the field and do it all in dramatic fashion. But I have just one request.

Somebody keep his ass away from microphones.

Jerry Jones has visions of Super Bowl grandeur, but Emmitt Smith certainly isn't expecting the Cowboys to return to glory this season.

During an appearance on ESPN Radio this morning, Emmitt offered a gloom-and-doom prediction and plenty of Roy Williams ripping.

"Realistically, I think that the Cowboys can win seven games," Emmitt said.

Emmitt seems to think that the new all-business approach, complete with player accountability, is a bunch of bull.

"I mean, when I start hearing things are going to change, I keep asking myself as a player, how much are they going to change?" he said. "Are you going to be a hard-nosed coach now since things are going to change? Are you going to be more focused than you were last year? Those kind of things, I'm like, c'mon. This is not a game where you can just turn it on and turn it off."

And Emmitt took aim at Roy Williams again, praising almost every other one of Tony Romo's weapons but saying he couldn't understand why the Cowboys gave up so much to get the receiver from Detroit.

"The question is, can Roy step up and be what they need him to be?" Emmitt said. "I don't know. I don't know if it's possible.

"I do not see him as a No. 1. I never have saw him as a No. 1. Never have. When I say No. 1, I mean your No. 1 go-to guy. He's not your No. 1 go-to guy."


It seems like every bit of hate coming from Emmitt these days is all about the Cowboys cutting TO. Why he supports that asshole I will never know because Emmitt himself was such a team player. But the truth is obvious. The only reason he trashes Roy Williams, who has made a pro bowl by the way and should have made at least one other as a Lion, I repeat as a Lion, is because he wants everyone to blame the TO not being there if Dallas doesn't do well this year.

I will acknowledge that in a lot of ways I am a homer for the Cowboys, they were my team growing up after all. But I pride myself on being realistic first and foremost and the Cowboys could lose Romo, Demarcus Ware and Marion Barber for the year next week and still win 7 games. I won't be so bold to say that they will definitely win the NFC east but I will say that they will be in contention all the way to the end with their primary competition for the crown likely to be the Eagles. I for one like their matchups going against the Eagles. Especially with the Eagles' totally rebuilt offensive line.

I really don't know if Emmitt has been right about any prediction he has made since leaving the game. Basically at this point I would much rather see him just do some signings and some commercials and just call it a day. His skills as a commentator just leave a whole lot to be desired.

Im just sayin.

No comments:

Post a Comment